Thursday 23 February 2012

Learning from Lenny... Post #2

Today Lenny taught what was his fourth lesson in our class.  All of his lessons have been in the area of Mathematics and in particular, Geometry.

Similar to the cycles that take place between a school advisor and teacher candidate from various Universities, before each lesson Lenny and I pre-conference to go over his plans/materials and discuss any potential areas of difficulties/concerns.  Then during the lesson I observe and record information.  Initially I took a wide lens view during his first lesson, to see what we would notice.    After each lesson, we post-conference, using the data to guide our reflections, discuss what we notice and set the focus for the next lesson.

Through Lenny's observations and detailed notes, conversations with myself, Lenny has rapidly grown in his knowledge, skills and understanding of the immense and complex role of being a teacher.   I have been so pleased to see Lenny's thoughtful reflections on his lessons and his ability to come up with creative ideas and solutions to aspects of his teaching practice that he wished to fine tune.   It takes a skilled person to be able to hear constructive feedback, to take suggestions, and to incorporate them into practice.

What is even more impressive though, is Lenny's ability to engage student learners.   During today's lesson he had the students play two games.   Anyone who knows children knows that the minute you say "game" the students perk up.   He created and taught a game called "I Have... Who Has?..." around geometry shapes (example: One student says "I have 4 equal sides and 4 corners!" and the next student with the square card says "I have a square!" and then it repeats with other shapes).

Next he had the students play a game called "What Shape Am I?"  Each student had a shaped taped to their back and in partners they had to ask questions of each other in order to discover which shape they were.   This elicited discussion around the properties of geometric shapes, as well as geometry vocabulary.   I was impressed that Lenny suggested the students work in partners rather than circulate the room because it demonstrated knowledge of classroom management.

As our time with Lenny is coming to an end, I know that both the students and I will miss Lenny.    What Lenny has demonstrated in a very short period of time, is that he is an enthusiastic, avid learner who will be able to apply his outstanding learning skills and attitude to find success in anything he wishes to pursue.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen,

    Before I forget, do you have any more pictures of me teaching?

    ReplyDelete